Carpet Styles and Installation
When choosing carpet for your home, Northern Virginia homeowners are looking for comfort, durability and affordability. With so many different kinds of carpet, you can choose from a wide variety of colors, thickness and styles to suit your style.
At Hatcher’s Floors, you can put our three decades of experience to the test while we help you envision the perfect carpet choice for your space.
Carpet Ease and Durability
Depending on daily traffic in your home, proper cleaning, and carpet material chosen, carpeting can last up to 20 years.
When it comes to choosing the perfect carpet style and color for your home, you may be wondering where to start. With so many selections on the market, making the right choice can seem overwhelming.
However, all residential carpets can be classified into one of only a few categories, which can really help to narrow your search.
Each of the following styles has a unique look, as well as distinct pros and cons.
At Hatcher’s Floors, we make choosing the right carpet for your home simple.
Here’s everything you need to know about carpet styles, including characteristics of each, durability, and performance expectations.
Pros to Choosing Carpet for Your Home
- Can match any style, suit any room of your home, improve its appeal, and complement your décor.
- Carpet’s cushioned surface absorbs sound and is a quieter and warmer choice for your home.
- Carpet is an affordable option for a simple flooring update, without the high costs of hardwood and tile.
- The insulating properties of carpet provide additional warmth during cold seasons.
- Carpet provides a non-slip surface that is safe for young children, delicate furniture, and may prevent breakage in the event of an accident.
- Most carpet materials are treated with static, stain and soil resistant treatments, which makes them easy to clean and maintain.
Planning Which Carpet Goes Best in Which Room
There is so much more to choosing carpet than just color and texture.
Before deciding on carpet, consider the room. The room’s purpose and size is going to guide your decision.
How much traffic does the room get?
Who will be using the room and how will the room be used? Is it a bedroom, family room, toy room, den, living room, home office, kids bedroom, master bedroom?
How large is the room? Believe it or not, some carpet styles may not compliment a small room, large room, or have too much pattern.
A highly trafficked room is going to need a durable carpet material and a neutral color to compliment any décor as well as hide potential stains.
On the contrary, a home office can get a pop of style with a more stylish pattern and color.
Looking to carpet your stairs? The best carpet for stairs will be a carpet that resists snagging, abrasions and dirt. Since stairs are more difficult to clean, the best carpet for stairs should also deter pet hair, so consider low pile carpet options.
Common Carpet Types
- Saxony is the most popular carpet style. Saxony carpet is a durable option, yet more comfortable than a lower pile carpet choice. Because Saxony is available in different looks, it can work for almost any type of décor. Our carpet experts at Hatcher’s Floors will show you Straight Saxonies vs. Textured Saxonies to show you the difference and make the right choice for your home.
- Berber carpet or loop carpet is a dense construction that holds up well in heavily trafficked areas. The yarn is uncut and looped, which makes it highly stain resistant and one of the best carpets for stairs, hallways and basements. However, pet claws can snag this carpet, so that may be a consideration when choosing this style. Berber carpet offers a colored pattern that looks like flecks of off-white, dark brown or gray.
- Frieze is the evolution of the shag carpet. Frieze features long fibers that have been tightly twisted. Generally, longer fiber carpet would not be ideal, but due to the highly twisted composition of Frieze, this higher pile type is still very durable and extremely comfortable. They are great in family rooms and in basements, and they often look great on stairs.
The #1 Carpet Company in Virginia & Metro DC
From design choices to understanding warranty options, Hatcher’s Floors is here to help you choose the perfect carpet to enhance your space.
We are a leading carpet installer in Northern Virginia and the metro DC area, and an authorized carpet dealer for Shaw Carpets and Dixie Home Carpets. Shaw Carpets come with a lifetime warranty for certain carpet selections.
We offer installation only services and have the expertise to install custom stair runners, bound area rugs, wall-to-wall carpet installation, as well as onsite binding.